Knowing the right time to harvest aubergines (eggplants) is tricky.
The right time to harvest aubergines/eggplants is:
- when the fruits change colour
- swell to a reasonable size
- the skin is still shiny.
- as soon as they reach a usable size
- when the fruit is firm
- when the skin is shiny
- when the aubergine is fully coloured
- in late August to September
Aubergines taste better when young and the skin is glossy. Do not leave the aubergines on the plant too long. Once the skin turns dull they are past their best.
To harvest aubergines/eggplants:
- Cut the fruit off the stem with a sharp knife, to avoid damaging the plant.
Adequate light is vital for a successful aubergine crop.
Fruit production is dependent on light quality so dull summers usually mean a poor crop. To improve light penetration remove the leaves surrounding the fruits as they develop. This will improve their growth and help ripening.