The time to sow Butternut Squash seed is when both the air and the soil
have noticeably warmed up and the risk of frosts is past. But it is
possible to start squash seed indoors 4 to 6 weeks earlier.
The seed will only germinate in temperatures over 60F, & the shoot will
take between 1 & 2 weeks to emerge.
If starting off indoors:
* plant 3 seeds in a plant pot (10cm in diameter), point bit facing up.
* Cover with some clingfilm and put on a frost-free window sill.
* Remove the weakest seedlings to leave the strongest 1 or 2 in the pot.
* They will be ready to plant out when they have 3 leaves.
* Don’t rush because squash like warm soil and will be killed by frost.
* Introduce them to outside conditions gradually, by putting the
pots outside during the day for a bit, so they harden off.
No related posts.
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.