TopVeg – growing veg,fruit&herbs

April 19, 2009

How to Cook Asparagus Peas

Filed under: unusual veg — Tags: , , — TopVeg @ 5:18 pm

Paul has  sent in this idea for how to cook asparagus peas:

Hi, I’m a chef up on the Isle of Lewis and have just received my
    first crop of locally grown asparagus peas. I use around 95% of
    locally grown produce from the usual run of the mill stuff, up to
    the weird and wonderful. With the asparagus peas I’m just going to
    simply flash fry them in truffle butter and simply serve them with
    monkfish, lovely..

Thanks Paul – sounds delicious!

frilly-asparagus-pea-pod

frilly-asparagus-pea-pod

flowering-asparagus-pea

flowering-asparagus-pea

The peas were sown  on 10th April. TopVeg has not grown the asparagus pea before and is our entry for the Growing Challenge

No related posts.

Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.

6 Comments

1. Very disappointed with the asparagus peas. Although the plants are very pretty and germinated easily the proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say, and these do not live up to their description. They are too insignificant as a vegetable, needing to be picked so small they would take an age to pick enough for a meal and after steaming disappear altogether.

Comment by Ena Green — July 3, 2009 @ 8:40 pm

2. Thanks for the feedback. I agree they take ages to pick – but do like them for a change. They only need a few minutes cooking if you like them crunchy.

Comment by TopVeg — July 3, 2009 @ 9:01 pm

3. Eating healthy and deliciously need not be mutually exclusive. Vegetables have a lot of inert flavor in them that you can let
    out if you cook them right. That said, there are lots of ways to cook veggies deliciously! Try the vegetable recipes at tanya’s site, I liked them!

Comment by jay — August 11, 2009 @ 8:38 am

4. Jay

Thanks for that – good to find such a great site with so many vegetable recipes

TopVeg

Comment by TopVeg — August 11, 2009 @ 10:31 pm

5. My asparagus peas looked great in the veggie plot but when I boiled them for about 3-4 minutes they were very stringy. Do they need to be topped and tailed first???

Comment by joyce — August 24, 2009 @ 8:15 pm

6. Hi Joyce
    Asparagus pea flowers do add a bit of colour to the veg garden! Sorry you were disappointed when eating them. The pods need to be picked when very young to avoid the strings – it really means picking them every day in hot weather as they mature quite quickly. I found it rather time consuming to pick the tiny pods – & also found them difficult to see in amongst the leaves! But the do have a very special flavour!
    Happy harvesting!
    TopVeg

Comment by TopVeg — August 25, 2009 @ 7:03 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress