The time to divide or move rhubarb is in the autumn or spring.
- dig up the crowns (the fleshy rhizomes and buds)
- discard old or damaged parts of the crown
- use healthy bits of crown with 2-3 good buds on them
- prepare the ground with plenty of well rotted farmyard manure or compost ( rhubarb is very greedy)
- mulch the rhubarb crowns once planted
- be gentle with the young rhubarb plants in the first year, better not to force them, or to pull too many stalks
- therefore best to lift & divide a small section of the rhubarb bed each year, so there are always some older plants to force and use.
This book from Amazon has some good rhubarb recipes!
Now is a good time to divide or move rhubarb, but if time is short, spring will do.
No related posts.
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.