This Green tomato chutney recipe is a great combination of apples, shallots and green tomatoes. It is cheap & easy to make if you grow your own apples, shallots and green tomatoes. It is also a way of using up the damaged, pecked or wind blown apples.
Ingredients for 5 or 6 500kg jars
- 1.5kg green tomatoes
- 1 kg cooking apple
- 450g shallots
- 450g sultanas
- 450g demerara sugar
- juice of 2 lemons
- 50g root ginger
- 50g salt
- 25g mustard seeds
- 1.75litres wine vinegar
- 2 red chillies
- cut up the tomatoes
- peel, core and chop the apples
- peel and slice the shallots
- crush the ginger with a rolling pin
- halve the chillies
- place the ginger & chillies in a muslin bag, tie it securely & place in the preserving pan, & add all the other ingredients
- put the pan on a gentle heat & stir until the sugar has dissolved
- then simmer for about two hours without the lid on the pan
- when there is no more runny liquid, and the chutney is creamy and thick, remove the muslin bag
- pour into warm, sterilised jars, cover, seal and label
- keep for 2 months to allow the flavour to develop
This recipe for green tomato chutney will make a good Christmas gift.
No related posts.
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.