The main thing you need to pickle onions is plenty of time, otherwise it is quite straightforward!
- most people use shallots for pickled onions
- make a brine solution by dissolving 8oz of salt in 4 pints of water
- skin the onions – using a stainless steel or silver knife – as they will discolour
- cover the onions in a cold brine solution for at least 24 hours. Place a dish over the top of the onions to make sure they are covered with brine. The brine draws the water out of the onions & makes them crispy.
- drain the onions from the brine
- fill a clean, sterilised jar with onions & cover with spiced pickling vinegar
The spiced pickling vinegar can be of any flavour & it is worth trying a few different ones.
It is possible to buy spiced pickling vinegar, or you can make your own using a different vinegar (cider, wine, raspberry vinegar etc) & add your own combination of spices. Pre-mixed pickling spices can be found in supermarkets, or you can add your own combination of chillies, ginger, pepper, mustard seeds etc..
It is very easy to pickle onions, just time consuming! But a jar of home-made pickled onions is a treat – or an excellent gift or Christmas present.
No related posts.
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.