- Directly into the ground:
- at the end of the month, under glass, to plant out at the end of May:
+ runner beans
+ french beans
+ sweet corn
- repeat sow directly in ground:
+ salad leaves
+ carrots – use a stale seed bed
+ spring onions
- Onion sets, garlic and shallots if not already done
- All hardy vegetables started indoors in March in the ground at the end of April
- Rest of potatoes
- Seedling vegetable plants purchased from garden centre
- autumn lettuce
- Polythene & fleece can be used to protect early outdoor sowings & tender plantings. Some vegetables, particularly beetroot, will bolt if caught by a cold snap.
- Control slugs – put out traps – slugs can wipe out young seedlings
- Clear away winter vegetables & prepare soil
- Cover carrots & summer brassicas with mesh – to keep carrot fly & other flying pests off
- Keeping weeds under control is a continuous job in the vegetable garden in April
- Cold temperatures in the vegetable garden The temperature in the vegetable garden is still cold. Yesterday,...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.