A mulch is something which covers the ground completely, in a thick layer, without any gaps.
- Place the mulch round fruit bushes and trees.
- Leave a slight gap around the base of the fruit plant to avoid fungal growth.
Organic matter is stuff which was once alive, such as:
* lawn clippings
* farmyard manure
* wood chippings
The benefits of mulch are:
* stops the soil drying out
* gives nutrients to plants
* encourages worms
* reduces weeds
* keeps the soil an even temperature
* saves work
Applying mulch to soft fruits now will improve the yield of berries in the summer.