This is a bad year for slugs on strawberries.
The slug population has exploded in the ideal conditions provided by the wet conditions last summer & this spring.
To reduce slug attacks on strawberries:
- surround the strawberry row with oyster grit, or a similar medium, which the slugs do not like to cross.
- place ’slug pubs’ amongst the rows. These are small containers of beer which the slugs drop in to.
- leave grapefruit or orange skins in the row, which will attract slugs, & pick the slugs out every day & destroy.
- purchase a pyramid slug trap.
- elevate the strawberry plants on poles which the slugs cannot climb – see table top strawberries.
Click this link for more information on slug control.
Slugs can devastate the strawberry crop, so it is worth taking time to control the slugs, using a number of different methods.