This recipe for pickled runner beans is a good way to use up surplus runner beans.
* 1.5lb runner beans
* 1pint malt vinegar
* 1.5lb granulated sugar
* 1 level teaspoon ground allspice
1. String & slice beans
2. Cook in lightly salted boiling water for about 8 minutes & drain.
3. Mix vinegar, sugar, allspice & pepper in pan, & stir over low heat till sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil, simmer for 5 mins.
4. Add drained beans to vinegar mixture & simmer for another 5 mins.
5. Take beans out of vinegar & pack tightly into a clean sterilised jar. Top up the jars with the vinegar mixture so the beans are completely covered.
6. Cover with vinegar proof lids & label.
7.Store in cool, dark place for a fortnight before eating.
This recipe for Pickled Runner Beans makes a delightful Christmas gift; a homemade present which everyone will enjoy!