Today we bought some Maris Bard potato seed. Maris Bard are a first early, that is a very early potato, and the variety is a TopVeg favourite! We like the flavour and they keep well in the soil.
The photo above is of the label of the packet of seed we bought. We wanted Maris Bard but the only ones in the shop were organic. We would not normally pay the extra money required for organic seed. But it is important that the seed is certified, and the certification number is shown on the packet.
Maris Bard potato variety has the following characteristics:
* high yielding and early bulking
* good resistance to potato virus Y, gangrene, potato leaf roll virus, drought, damage and bruising
* moderately susceptible to spraing, powdery scab
* susceptible to potato cyst nematode
* medium dry matter with good boiling and frying quality
* good all rounder
The next job is to take the Maris Bard seed potatoes out of the packet and allow their eyes to open