Fresh, homegrown Blueberries are possible! Blueberries are superfruits with special health giving benefits. They can be grown in the ground or in containers.
- Sunny, although will cope with partial shade.
- Sheltered from wind and frost.
- Acidic, so best grown in a large containers filled with ericaceous compost.
- well irrigated
- make an attractive low growing bush
- grow to about 180cm (6 feet) tall, depending on variety.
- some varieties require another variety for pollination.
- will fruit 1 year after planting.
- ideal for growing on the patio in a large container filled with ericaceous compost.
- are covered in masses of sweetly scented creamy white flowers in the Spring.
- have leaves which change to an delightful crimson colour in Autumn.
- Ripen in July and August
- Pick the berries when they are ripe.
Nutritional value of blueberries:
- high in fibre
- vitamins A and C
- more antioxidants than many other fruits and vegetables