Who are these people who ban blackberry picking? More men in grey suits who deserve a fight!
How can they deprive us of a traditional, healthy pass-time which encompasses so much that is English:
- happy, carefree days spent in the English countryside
- becoming entangled in brambles
- appreciating how long it takes to pick enough blackberries to make a pie or a pound of jam
- scratching bare arms
- dying hands purple
- enjoying the spoils of the forage at home with stewed blackberries swirled in hot custard
- preserving the fruit for the winter as jam
What do these officials want for our children? A countryside they can only see from a car window – which is roped off and preserved in aspic?
How can the council be allowed to get away with this? We must have access to the countryside and fresh air. We must fight this ban on blackberry picking.
Black Butte is a new blackberry variety from America which is famous for its very large berries.
Black Butte berries are:
- uniformly shaped
- huge – a berry can be up to 12 grams
- delicious flavour
- ripen early July to mid August
Black Butte blackberry plants are :
- winter hardy
- with thorny canes
- requiring 1.8 (6ft) of wallspace.
Black Butte is an early season variety of blackberry which is highly recommended.
Show off your garden mini berries by adding this sauce to icecreams, sponges, or your favourite deserts.
Ingredients for mini berry sauce:
- 40g caster sugar
- 100ml red wine
- 100ml port
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 200g strawberries, halved
- 200g blackberries
How to make mini berry sauce:
- put the sugar in a pan and heat until caramelised
- stir in the red wine & port and boil until reduced by about 1/3
- add the lemon juice and berries and leave to cool
Blackberries often called Brambles (latin name – Rubus Fruticosus) are ripe and ready
for picking. The blackberries do not all ripen at the same time, so the
ripe berries should be picked every day, to stop them going mouldy.
The soft fruit harvest has started with strawberries and raspberries
The tayberries have just started to ripen.
The red and black currants are just changing colour and will be ready
Most blackberries are in full flower, but the early ones are just
starting to ripen.
Anyone beginning to tire of strawberries and cream, should try Joanna’s
strawberry sponge recipe